Friday, February 25, 2011

"plants are life, are you against life?"

Adventure: (noun, verb) 1. An exciting or very unusual experience. 2. Participation in exciting undertakings or enterprises. 3. A bold, usually risky undertaking; hazardous action of uncertain outcome.

I have been referring to the great migration to Utah as my adventure. But tonight I realized life is the adventure. This move is a change, a chapter. In my opinion, life should always be an exciting or unusual experience with bold and risky outcomes. Why else are we alive? To bore ourselves to death, literally?

I refer back to childhood so often in my thoughts and writings. If there is one thing theatre taught me, it is to acknowledge the cascade of wonder that we experience as a child; the feeling of the first time. The first trip to the ocean. The first day of school. The first slumber party. The first campfire. The first airplane ride. The first crush... Then as the years tally up, new experiences become quite rare. Life seemingly becomes mundane. We start to take things for granted.

It takes a major shift to shake the soul awake.


When I was a little girl, I would write scenarios on pieces of paper and hang them on my bedroom door weekly. Scenarios such as, 'three friends form a rock band and tour the entire world', or, ' a girl goes on an adventure and discovers a secret waterfall'. One day my mother was standing outside of my room, reading the dream door and said, "Why pretend when you can do it?" I have never forgotten those words. 


Maybe I don't want to make movies. Maybe I have just always wanted my life to be like one.

~Steph

No comments:

Post a Comment